Russian-born Pianist Alyosha Ryabinov will perform a mini-concert during our regular Shabbat Service.
He will also share some of his perspective on the Russian Jewish community both in Europe and in Israel.Â Invite any Russian friends to experience this inspirational time.Â Â (FYI, he is the uncle of our own Dan Schley, who is getting married that Sunday to Gwenn Kragenbrink!)
A humble person is one who does not think that they are better or more important than others.
Deuteronomy 8:2 – And you shall remember that the L-rd your G-d led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.
Isaiah 57:15 – For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, With him who has a contrite and humble spirit, To revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
James 4:6-10 – But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “G-d resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” Therefore submit to G-d. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to G-d and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the sight of the L-rd, and He will lift you up.
Developing Growth: Looking Inside
1. As a Talmidim, G-d requires that we be humble.
2. G-d gives grace to the humble.
3. When we humble ourselves, we will be able to learn G-d’s direction for us.
4. Humility is better for our physical health
5. The lack of humility often keeps us in the desert. (40 years – ouch!)
Meditate on the Scriptures Below!
Proverbs 3:7-8 – Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the L-rd and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.
1 Peter 5:5-7 – Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “G-d resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of G-d, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
Dear L-rd: Please help me have an attitude of humility. When things are going well and I believe I have heard from you, that is the time that I seem to be most arrogant. Please give me the strength, the desire, and the discernment so that I may have a humble heart before You and all those that you put in my path. I come against a prideful spirit in the name of Yeshua and I take the authority that has been entrusted to me by the L-rd and command hasatan to leave me. May my heart be pure before You.
2 Chronicles 7:14 – if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Ezra 8:21 – Then I proclaimed a fast there at the river of Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our G-d, to seek from Him the right way for us and our little ones and all our possessions.
Romans 12:16 – Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
Developing Growth: Looking Inside
Self Exam â€“ Humility
Check of which one is more like you and consider going to the L-rd to change those things that you recognize needs change. (Or even worse, ask someone else their opinions of you).
Proud – Humble
1. Focus on the failures of others 1. Focused on your own spiritual need
2. Look down on others 2. Esteem everyone more than yourself
3. Self-sufficient spirit 3. Recognize your need for others
4. Have to prove your right 4. You are not argumentative
5. Claim rights; have a demanding spirit 5. Yield your rights with a meek spirit
6. Self-protective of time, rights, & reputation 6. Self-denying – not having to protect yourselves
7. Feel you should be served 7. Motivated to serve others
8. Make a name for yourself 8. Motivated to make others successful
9. Have a drive to be recognized and appreciated 9. Thrilled that G-d would use you at all
10. Are wounded when you are overlooked 10. Rejoice when others are lifted up
11. Feel confident in how much you know 11. Realize how very much you have yet to learn
12. Keep others at arms length 12. Are willing to risk getting close to others
13. Quick to blame others 13. Accept responsibility – admit when wrong
14. Find it difficult to share spiritual needs 14. Be transparent
15. Wants to cover sin up 15. Ok with others knowing your sins
16. Are unapproachable or defensive when criticized 16. Open to receiving criticism
17. Hard to say I’m sorry & will you forgive me 17. Quick to admit a mistake and ask for forgiveness
18. Concerned about the consequences of sin 18. Concerned about the cause /root of your own sin
19. Compare yourself with others & feel worthy 19. Compare yourself with G-d & require His mercy
20. Think others need to experience revival 20. Continually seek a fresh encounter with G-d
Proverbs 6:2-5 – You are snared by the words of your mouth; You are taken by the words of your mouth. So do this, my son, and deliver yourself; For you have come into the hand of your friend: Go and humble yourself; Plead with your friend. Give no sleep to your eyes, Nor slumber to your eyelids. Deliver yourself like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, And like a bird from the hand of the fowler.
Ecclesiastes 7:16-22 – Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise– why destroy yourself? Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool– why die before your time? It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears G-d will avoid all extremes. Wisdom makes one wise man more powerful than ten rulers in a city. There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins. Do not pay attention to every word people say, or you may hear your servant cursing you– for you know in your heart that many times you yourself have cursed others.
Psalms 89:3 – “I have made a covenant with My chosen, I have sworn to My servant David:
Psalms 105:6 – O seed of Abraham His servant, You children of Jacob, His chosen ones!
Psalms 105:26 – He sent Moses His servant, And Aaron whom He had chosen.
Matthew 8:9 – For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
Matthew 20:26-28 – Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave– just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
Matthew 23:11-12 – But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
Matthew 25:21 – His L-rd said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your L-rd.’
1 Corinthians 9:19-23 – For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward G-d, but under law toward Messiah), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the sake of the Good News, that I may be partaker of it with you.
2 Timothy 2:23-26 – But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. And a servant of the L-rd must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if G-d perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.
Developing Growth: Looking Inside
1. A servant is one who hears his master’s voice
2. Is it possible that Aaron was not referred to as G-d’s servant because Aaron didn’t hear G-d in the way that Moses did?
3. A good servant is one under authority so after they hear, they do it.
4. One who seeks to be a leader over others must be a servant and be willing to give up his life
5. Rav Shaul (Paul) understood and believed that a servant must be willing to give up himself for the calling of His master
6. A servant of the L-rd does not quarrel, is gentle and behaves with humility even when faced with difficult circumstances.
7. When you have given up enough of yourself, you are a real leader. (think about this one)
8. Let us follow our servant/leader who demonstrated the true priorities with His sacrificial love.
Meditate on the Scripture Below!
Romans 5:6-8 – For when we were still without strength, in due time Messiah died for the unG-dly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But G-d demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Messiah died for us.
L-rd, I offer my sins to You as I repent and ask for Your forgiveness for not forgiving. I am sorry that sometimes I care more for of my concerns and my agenda then for other’s difficulties.
Dear L-rd: Please help me to be a servant/leader’s one who is always caring for others more than I care for myself. L-rd, help me to be an example of a servant/leader so that others would also aspire to the same. May people feel encouraged in their ministries by my serving their needs. I pray for our congregation that we would be people of service. Help us to overcome burnout with the refreshment of Your Word and Your Spirit. Please allow me to always have in my mind what You have done for me so that I always understand what a servant/leader looks like.
Do You Submit To Others In The Fear Of G-d?
Genesis 16:9 – Then the angel of the L-RD said to her, “Return to your mistress, and submit yourself to her authority.”
Hebrews 13:17 – Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.
James 4:7 – Submit therefore to G-d. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
1Peter 2:13 – Submit yourselves for the L-rd’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority,
Developing Growth: Looking Inside
1. When we submit we are foregoing our own will in order to satisfy someone else’s will.
2. Usually when we submit, it is uncomfortable for us. It is not enjoyable. We don’t agree with the person we are submitting to, but we do it as an act of our will, in the power of G-d’s Spirit which is in us, and in obedience to the L-rd who has called us to this difficult task.
3. When you submit, do you do it with joy?
4. Think of a time when you should have been submissive. Were you? Think of all the circumstances and ask the L-rd if He was pleased with your effort.
Meditate On The Scriptures Below!
Ephesians 5:18-21 – And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the L-rd, giving thanks always for all things to G-d the Father in the name of our L-rd Yeshua the Messiah, submitting to one another in the fear of G-d.
Titus 3:1-7 – Remind them to be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good deed, to malign no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing every consideration for all men. For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another. But when the kindness of G-d our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Yeshua the Messiah our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.